Saturday, May 30, 2015

NOT A BOX


Recently we bought a piece of furniture from IKEA and it came in a large, sturdy box. When  it was headed for the curve I begged my husband not to throw it away. "Why not?" he asked. "It's just a box." Kindergarten teachers—you and I know it was NOT JUST a box! So I made asked him to drag it to my classroom.


First of all, it was the tool for a group lesson in number combinations. We took turns getting in and out. The kids recorded the action with pictures and numbers in their math journals.




Next we read Not a Box by Antoinette Portis. 
We looked at the pattern of the book. For a shared reading experience, we alternated reading the brown pages or the red pages by teacher/students and boys/girls.



Finally, we drew pictures to create a new book. (Sadly, there is not a picture...so use your imagination. After all, that's what the book is all about!)

This is not a box. It is a camper.

This is not a box. It is a monster.
 
Follow on Bloglovin
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

9 comments:

  1. I have not seen that book before. Thanks for sharing; looks like a fun lesson and an excellent use for the box! Have a great weekend!

    Amanda
    A Very Curious Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of using this to teach number combinations. Just pinned it! I'll be sharing it to my Facebook page as well. Thanks so much!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome post! I love boxes and keep as many of them as I can. My wife even brings some home for me and many make their way to my classroom. The activities you had your students do with the box were great.
    ~Michael
    The Color of Sound

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I really like this book and could not think of a creative way to use it!!! Thank you for the ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so I really like this book and could not think of a creative way to use it!!! Thank you for the ideas!!

    ReplyDelete

  6. Awesome story! Congrats on the successful team work!
    wood tools

    ReplyDelete